16 August, 2006

"The Spine of the World" by R.A. Salvatore

I don't know if I am becoming desensitized to R.A. Salvatore or if this is actually an alright book. As I say every time I finish one of his books, I think Salvatore is a very poor author. His books focus way too much on fighting (explaining every sword swing in excessive detail) and generally contain very one-dimensional characters.

There was something different in this book though. I think it is because he focuses more on character development and exploration than he has in his recent works. I was first drawn to Salvatore by his Dark Elf Trilogy. It was a very introspective trilogy about the conflict between one's principles and the acceptable practices of an amoral society. After that series, it seems that he decided to become simply popcorn. Spine of the World seems to be a return to his earlier style.

Another device that he uses well, that I generally really enjoy when used properly, is the device of telling two stories in tandem that do not actually join until very close to the end. He uses it well, resulting in an unexpected but significant connection between the two plots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home